Five nuggets from the rest of the season:
- Death means something different on Vampire Diaries, with those who have died often returning in visions or as ghosts, but Dries revealed that there will “definitely” be permanent death. At least three characters will die, for real.
- Dries revealed that the writers are already plotting season six and promised that as a lead-up to the finale, “this giant thing happens” in the finale that brings Elena, Damon, Stefan and Co. to a different place than they were before. “Season six will be a lot of bringing people back together,” she teased, “and picking up the pieces.”
- The love is not lost between Damon and Jeremy, who gets some of Damon’s verbal zingers in Wednesday’s episode. “When Damon looks at Jeremy, it’s the source of so much annoyance by virtue of having to protect him. If he hurt him, he wasn’t going to get laid or breakfast in the morning, so there was that little-brother annoyance,” Somerhalder said.
- Caroline has her eye on someone new in the romance department. “She’s got a little relationship/crush/feelings for someone that will creep up to the surface and that is going to cause potential rifts between her and and one of her friends,” Dries teased, prompting Caroline to push that aside. “It’s a little under the surface, and moving into season six, we’re going to see her actually set her sights on someone and make the move.”
- Dries revealed that there is “definitely” a chance for familiar faces to pop up again. “It’s basically a storage facility for all of our friends,” she joked of the Other Side.